Friday, July 31, 2026

A New Backing Track For “Old Joe Clark”

“Old Joe Clark” is an Appalachian mountain folk song that was popular among U.S. soldiers from eastern Kentucky during World War I and afterwards. Its wild lyrics refer to a real person named Joseph Clark (1839-1885), a Kentucky mountaineer who was shot to death at age 47. The tune is played in Standard Open G tuning (gDGBD) on the 5-string banjo. Considering that everybody and their dog have recorded this song, I am surprised that Dave Hum (1966-2012) didn't record it, but I have no doubt if he had lived longer he would have got to it. I used a performance by Anthony Howell to make backing tracks in the keys of G and A for your preference. This is a fun song to learn and play. Enjoy!
To make this backing track I used MDI for the drums, bass and piano. Real audio loops for the tambourine, percussion, shakers and cymbals.

Dave Hum
(April 11, 1966 - November 14, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs