Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Please Visit Anurakt Scheepers' YouTube Channel

I love this man's music. Like me, Anurakt is a big Dave Hum fan up in the Netherlands. We became friends last year. He so kindly sent me his backing tracks for his performances. Anurakt is a member of the Banjo Hangout if you'd like to contact him. He's a good man.

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines

Timour the Tartar (5-string banjo)

Here is Anurakt's YouTube channel where you can here his wonderful recordings. Something that amazes me about Anurakt is that he only uses one banjo, which is a Deering Goodtime Two (Fuller's Guitar's in Houston Texas regularly has discount special offers at events and holidays. Plus I read online that first time customers get a 10% discount, but don't hold me to that). The Deering Goodtime Two banjo doesn't have a tone ring, but it has a resonator, which helps to project sound better.

I am amazed how good all of Anurakt's video recordings sound, using just a student banjo. Who needs a $6,000 high end banjo? Anurakt proves (as does Dave Hum with his Epiphone Chinese-made banjo in half of his videos on YouTube) that the banjo player's skill and experience has the biggest impact on sound, and not so much the instrument itself.

When I record myself playing the banjo, I cannot hear a difference between my $4,436 Deering Calico (I bought it at a 15% discount for a Labor Day discount special in 2024 from Fuller's Guitars), versus my $1,099 Deering Goodtime Special (that I bought in 2024 from GearTree on Amazon). If I listened to recordings of both, I couldn't tell you which is which. The Calico definitely has a crack on the 4th string that the Goodtime Special lacks when playing live, and the Calico has more resonance, but I cannot hear those things in the recordings.

I love the bright clear maple neck on the Goodtime Special. It's my favorite banjo to play, go figure. But I don't regret buying my Deering Calico. I enjoy playing both. Like many banjo enthusiasts, I am always searching for "that" sound. Lord willing, I am considering getting a Huber VRB-3 with an ebony radiused neck and Flying Eagle inlay. From everything that I've heard in audio recordings and read from other banjo players, it's about as close to a prewar Gibson as you can get today. I've not had the opportunity to play many different banjos.

Anurakt inspires me what he does with a Goodtime Two banjo. He's an amazing musician and  a busker just like Dave Hum. I think you'll enjoy listening to his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs