Sunday, September 18, 2022

Banjo 5th String Capos

Hey, I just ordered an Earl Banjo Suspender 5th String Capo from Old Town School of Music in Chicago. They're only $14.95. I refuse to spend $59 for a Banjo Highway 5th String Capo. I mean, I would if I had no choice, but that is a steep price! I got an idea from reading an article on the BanjoHangout forum today, about using a guitar string peg as a 5th string capo. The pegs are slotted, which you can slide right over the fret. I'll cut the peg. ...


I admittedly haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure if it will work. I had asked Barry Waldrep at Banjo.com to install a sliding capo, but he advised against it, because it lowers the resale value of the Deering banjo. So I told him to just install a 7th fret railroad spike.

I actually ordered a small hand drill, bits and railroad spikes from Stew Mac and installed my own spike on a Recording King Madison mahogany banjo, that I bought for my youngest daughter in 2019.

Sometimes when I'm playing melodic style, the railroad spike on the 7th fret gets in the way. I'm starting to lean toward not using railroad spikes, but I haven't come to a conclusion yet. I've never used the Earl's Banjo Suspender Capo before, so I am curious. I noticed that Dave Hum uses a sliding capo on one of his banjos.

Earl Scruggs and Steve Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs