Friday, October 6, 2023

Don't Buy Direct From Deering

Most people don't know that the Deering banjo company will rip you off if you buy directly from them. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself...
That's sad. Not only that, but Deering doesn't even bother to include a case. If you order from GearTree at Amazon.com you'll also get an included banjo stand, gig bag and a pick bag (at least they did that for me). And you'll save $120!

I've been reading customer comments on Deering's website and some of them are upset with Deering for taking advantage of them. I don't blame them! It is unethical for Deering to charge people an extra 10% without telling them. I have some issues with Deering's business practices.

Something else that bothers me is how they falsely advertise their Sierra banjos. In 2021, I ordered a Deering Sierra because I read on their website that the Sierra has all the SAME guts as their most expensive banjo, which is misleading. It gives a potential buyer the false impression that the only difference between the Sierra and their most expensive $63,000 banjo is aesthetics.

The ugly truth is that the neck on the Sierra is inferior. It feels cheap, like it was made in a third world country. That is my humble opinion. The neck on my Elite 85 Recording King is superior to Deering's Sierra neck, although the pot with the 06 tone ring is excellent on the Sierra. I loved the responsiveness and lush tone.

However, when I received the banjo from banjo.com, the intonation was way off. I live in Pensacola, which is one reason why I decided to order from banjo.com, since they are only a few hours away from me in Wedowee, Alabama. There is no excuse for the intonation being way off when I received the banjo. Also, there was a bad buzz on strings 4 and 5. I put new strings on the banjo, adjusted the truss rod and did what I could to get rid of the buzz and correct the intonation, but couldn't. It's just a cheap banjo structurally. I will NEVER do business with Banjo.com again!!!

I do not recommend the Deering Sierra to anybody. Let's face it, the ONLY reason that anyone would buy the Sierra is lack of money to pay $5,700 for a Golden Era. They do have some banjos in the $4,000 price range at Deering, which would be a MUCH better choice than the Sierra. Spend the extra $1,500, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs