Friday, August 14, 2026

A New Backing Track For “John Henry”

“John Henry” is the hero in a popular Traditional folk ballad. It describes his contest with a steam drill, in which John Henry crushed more rock than did the machine, but died “with his hammer in his hand.” Dave Hum didn't record this tune. I used a performance by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs in the key of D as a template to make backing tracks in the keys of G and A for your preference. The song is played in various tunings. Enjoy!

To make this backing track I used MIDI for the bass, drums and piano. Read audio loops were used for the shaker and tambourine. I use 'MixCraft Pro Studio software' to make all my backing tracks.

Dave Hum
(April 11, 1966 - November 14, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs