Friday, August 21, 2026

A New Backing Track For “John Hardy”

This is a fun Traditional American tune titled, “John Hardy” or “Old John Hardy.” The song is based on the life of a West Virginian railroad worker living in McDowell County in the Spring of 1893. The song was first recorded and released by Eva Davis in 1924. It was covered by Mother Maybelle Carter, Brian Peters and other artists. The tune is played on the 5-string banjo in Standard tuning (gDGBD). I used a performance by Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt as a template to make backing tracks in the keys of G and A for your preference. Enjoy!
To make this backing track I used MIDI for the drums, bass and piano. I'm using real audio loops for the tambourine and shakers.

The picture below shows Dave playing his “Ode” banjo made in Arkansas during the 1970's. His wife told me that Dave later sold this banjo. I love that 'Flying Eagle' inlay, which Jason Skinner and Sean Ray also have on their “Neat” brand banjos.

Dave Hum
(April 11, 1966 - November 14, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs