Friday, August 28, 2026

A New Backing Track For “Stony Mountain Twist”

This is a popular Bluegrass tune called “Stony Mountain Twist,” a song by Earl Taylor and The Stoney Mountain Boys, released on Rebel Records. Standard tuning (gDGBD). This song sounds a bit like “Salty Dog Blues” to me. I used a 1986 recording by 'J.D. Crowe and The New South' to make a backing track in the keys of G and A for your preference. Enjoy!
To make this backing track I used MIDI for the bass, drums, keyboard and piano. I have been very pleased with the quality achieved through using MIDI. MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is only computer data that contains no music. The computer's sound card converts the MIDI data into actual sound, which I record in my backing tracks. Still, the finished quality is impressive for making backing tracks.

Dave Hum had a certain style that he used to make his backing tracts, which I have tried to emulate to make my own tracks. Dave never recorded Stony Mountain Twist, but I'm sure if he had been given more time on earth, he would have. His surreal YouTube banjo recordings are a continual source of musical inspiration for me. I thank God for Dave Hum.

In contrast to MIDI data, audio loops are actual recordings of musical instruments performed by various different musicians. I buy the ready made loops to incorporate into my songs. Just like Dave Hum did, I have my favorite Go-to loops that I like to use. My backing tracks pale in comparison to Dave's. Many songs, like John Henry, John Hardy and Stony Mountain Twist, Dave never recorded or made backing tracks for. By God's grace, I'm continuing the tradition that he started, making my own backing tracks. It is my joy to freely share them with others.

Thank you friend for reading my music blog.

J.D. Crowe
(August 27, 1937 – December 24, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs