Friday, September 25, 2026

A New Backing Track For “Reuben”

Here's a popular classic Earl Scruggs tune called “Reuben.” This was the first tune that Earl Scruggs (when he was about 10 years old) played with 3-fingers (up to that time he had been a 2-finger style picker). The song is also known as “Reuben's Train,” “Train 45” and “Lonesome Reuben” and is usually played on the 5-string banjo in D tuning (f#DF#AD). You can also use an A for the fifth string. If you have mechanical detuners for strings 2 and 3, simply lower them both and leave them lowered. And then lower the fifth string a half tone to F#. I have 'Cheat-A-Key' and 'Keith D' tuners on different banjos. Both have pros and cons. I used Dave Hum's performance to make a backing track in the key of D. Enjoy!

To make this backing track I used MIDI for the percussion and piano. I used real audio loops for the tambourine, shaker and djembe. I just bought some VST3 plug-ins from IK Multimedia, their 'MODO Bass 2' and their 'MODO 1.5 Drums.' The bass plugin comes with 22 different quality basses. I haven't uploaded any backing tracks yet using the new plugins. So, anyway, I am using MODO VST3 plugins for the bass and drums on Reuben for better quality.

That being said, I was so frustrated when I purchased these plugins. I purchased their 'Upright Bass' plugin for $49, but then a few minutes later realized that I could buy all 22 bass plugins (which includes the Upright Bass) and Drums 1.5 (with 13 drum sets) for $99, so I did. I wasted $49. Arrggh! I hate the way IK Multimedia packages their products, but the quality of the sounds are impressive. I also learned that I can use MODO plugins with BIAB, which I haven't tried yet.

In the following photo, you can see that there is no fret inlay on the first fret position. This is Dave's Chinese-made MB-200 Epiphone banjo. Dave widow told me that he eventually sold the Baldwin ODE. You can differentiate his three banjos by their fret markings in this video.

Dave Hum Busking With His Chinese-Made Epiphone Banjo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

5 String Banjo Instruction [1967] - Earl Scruggs

5 String Banjo Instruction Album [1967] - Earl Scruggs